I'm addicted to music. I'm not very knowledgeable about it (I'm working on that) but I listen to a lot of it. But even more importantly I think, I actually try to listen to the lyrics of the songs I listen to. Some people don't do that, but I do. And I find a way to make them applicable to my life if that is at all possible. One of my favorite things to do is to find songs that I find inspiring, songs that can give me a lift when I'm having a bad day. I have a playlist on my computer just for these songs, and trust me, it helps me out tons on a bad day. One of my best sources of discovering songs like this is the fact that all I do at work is clean and listen to music. Well, a few weeks ago I discovered another great inspirational song and thought I'd share it and my thoughts about it, with all of you.
The song actually comes from the movie Spirit, the one about the horse. I've never actually seen it, but I have the music because Kiera had it, and I'd heard it was good. This is one of the Bryan Adams songs, and it's called Sound the Bugle. Here are the lyrics for you:
Sound the bugle now play it just for me
As the seasons change remember how I used to be
Now I can't go on I can't even start
I've got nothing left just an empty heart
I'm a soldier wounded so I must give up the fight
There's nothing more for me lead me away...
Or leave me lying here
Sound the bugle now tell them I don't care
There's not a road I know that leads to anywhere
Without a light I fear that I will stumble in the dark
Lay right down decide not to go on
Then from on high somewhere in the distance
There's a voice that calls remember who your are
If you lose yourself your courage soon will follow
So be strong tonight remember who you are
Yeah you're a soldier now fighting in a battle
To be free once more yeah that's worth fighting for
I don't know about the rest of you, but the lyrics to that song, especially the last two stanzas, really hit me quite hard. And when you put them to music, it's amazing, so you should all listen to the song sometime.
As if the song weren't already powerful enough, I started thinking about it from my point of view as a Latter Day Saint. So often I think life gets really hard on us, we make a mistake, or we just get tired and feel like we cant' go on anymore. We get to the point where we don't care about anything, and we don't want to go on anymore. But then, just like the song says, a voice comes. A voice from on high, begging us to remember who we are. Each one of us is a divine son or daughter of God, no heritage could ever be greater or more awe-inspiring. I believe that at the times when you truly understand and believe that heritage, you have the strength to do anything. But if you ever forget that, life gets too hard, and your courage disappears right along with that knowledge. But if you regain that knowledge and get back into the fight, eventually you'll find that everything you've found so hard in life has somehow gotten easier. You find yourself free of your doubts, fears, and discouragements. And then, as long as you keep listening to that voice from on high, you can face anything life throws your way.
That is what this song means for me. You can agree with me or interpret it as you will, but I wanted to give you the chance to pay attention to the lyrics. Hope you enjoyed them.
5th Grade Graduation
9 hours ago
No comments:
Post a Comment