Wednesday, January 4, 2012

To Pin or not to Pin?

So, I'm just sitting here debating with myself whether I want to join Pinterest or not. And by want I probably really mean should. Because I mostly really want to, but I'm scared I'll become addicted and spend many many hours on the site....because I already spend many many hours reading various craft blogs.

But then I think, well, if I get Pinterest maybe I'll be more inspired to actually start making all those awesome crafts out there.....which I really want to do. I just get scared that I'll just mess everything up! And then there's the whole cost factor, whether I can afford to spend money on crafts right now. I really should make some more necklaces, sometime I just feel like I have more than I can wear (and I'm not up to starting an etsy shop or anything like that just yet) and I'd love to make some new skirts for myself, I just get nervous about how they'd turn out and whether they'd be worth the money. AH!! Decisions!

And this is why I'm posting about this. So you can all help me decide! What do you think? Should I give in and join the Pinterest club? And what kinds of crafts should I start working on?

5 comments:

Rachel said...

yes, DO IT. I love pinterest. You know, it is helpful for looking up recipes for dinner too, so there's another thing for ya. And as for the skirts, just do it. Start with inexpensive fabric. If you mess up, it's easy enough to fix...and if you really can't fix it, the good thing is, fabric can always be cut up and used for another craft...that you found on pinterest. :)

Sahara said...

That's why I haven't joined Pintrest yet, I just know I'll waste alot of time looking and drooling but not actually doing!

When I started sewing (ok, let's be honest here, even now) I still make clothes and they completely don't fit or turn out right, and it's so discouraging. I still have a skirt in my half-done pile that I started to make when I was pregnant with Melody... and it turned out way to small, and I didn't do something right, and put it back in my bin half done and never got to it again. (aaah! the secret comes out! there are tons of these things in my bin!)

I read some good advice on one of my blogs to use the cheapest fabric I can find first, then the good stuff after I've tried it. Which sometimes sounds annoying, especially when I only have so much time to devote to a project. I have found that non-clothes projects tend to have less incident of things turning out weird (mostly because sizing on clothes is SO random and doesn't even match from pattern to pattern), so I'd suggest starting with a non-clothing project first! Squares are super-easy, like blankets and table runners and stuff. Knit material is the hardest to get used to working with and it still frustrates me.

Anyway, those are my thoughts!

crooks.blogspot.com said...

I think it saves time. I don't look at blogs much anymore. And have already used some great recipes and ideas from there. It is easy to waste time but I get more excited to try something I see than just sit for hours searching. ANyway - I love you! SO much! I will love you even if you do not pin :) and you are GOOD at crafting! You won't mess things up

Erika said...

Pinterest rocks. I think a lot of it is about the attitude you log on with. If you just log on to look a certain thing up, or check something you previously pinned then you're not going to waste time. But if you log on without a purpose or reason and no time limit then you'll waste hours and hours. That's what I've found. Also, I try to only pin things I feel like I can/will make or do, not just things I think look fun or cute. I feel ya about the skirts, I've never tried sewing clothing on my own either for that same reason. Maybe see if your mom or Grandma Hirschi or someone has some extra fabric laying around that they'd give you, or, head to the DI and buy some sheets or old ugly dresses or men's shirts that are ten sizes too big and use the fabric from them. That's one good thing (of many) about pinterest/looking at craft blogs, there are ways to craft that cost little or no money! Its amazing how many ideas and tips are out there!! :) Happy Pinning! You'll love it.

Erika said...

I just stumbled across this on one of my blogs I check regularly and thought of you. Check out the second post "how to effectively use pinterest". I guess this whole week she'll be posting about pinterest things. Hope that helps you!! :) http://myyellowsandbox.blogspot.com/