Sunday, June 7, 2009

Turn that sad face upside down and smile that frown away.

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I am Happy. Because I am, really, truly, and deeply happy. Even though life isn't' perfect and I still have trials, and all of the bad things from my past, I am happy. I started wondering why that was. It isn't' like my life is so very different or amazingly better than it was when I didn't feel this happy, so what changed?

This is what I realized. I changed. I CHOSE to change. I DECIDED to finally stop letting my pains and sorrows control my life. I CHOSE happiness. The fact really hit me today that happiness is a choice. Even though God wants us to be happy and says that "men are that they might have joy" we still have our free agency. He will never force us to find happiness in this life. It has to be our decision, and we have to be the ones who want it. And that is a glorious thing. Because once we sincerely want to be happy, then the Lord can take away our pains. But he can't do anything about them if we insist on holding them close, keeping our pain right where it can do the most damage.

I'm not perfect at this. I know I still need to let more things go in my life. But I finally realized that I spent way too many years allowing myself to choose unhappiness. And slowly, bit by bit I'm letting my Lord take my pain from me. It is the most beautiful feeling in the world. I can't describe the joy I am finding in my life right now, and I am so grateful for the Atonement that allows that to happen.

So, if you're not happy, figure out why. And let it go. Choose today, this very moment to be happy. And you will be.

No comments: