Tonight Kiera and I are heading up to Layton for the three day weekend. I'm pretty excited because I realized I haven't spent an entire weekend there since Christmas break. However, part of me really doesn't want to go because weekends here in Provo are always so much fun. Thinking about this, and talking about it has caused me to ponder where exactly "Home" is for me right now, and what "Home" means to me. I feel just as attached to my pseudo "family" I have here in Provo (the 2nd Ward) as I am to my real family up in Layton now, and I hate spending time away from either of them. It's really quite a confusing feeling. So I guess this blog is half to figure it out. So, you can just put up with that. :)
I once wrote a personal essay about home, and what that means to me. (You can read it here) Although the piece is about a specific location, it also addresses the fact that what really makes it home for me is the people I associate with, and the feelings I feel there. I still feel that way. A house, or any location can't become a "home" unless there are people there you care about, and a feeling of love and belonging. It has to be somewhere that you feel peaceful, content, and such.
This is the exact thing that causes my dilemma. I have two places that do that for me. I guess I never thought before that it would be possible to have two homes, but I know now that it is. In fact, I am coming to believe that you can have an innumerable amount of homes. Places where you know you belong. For me, I still feel like I belong in Layton, with my family. Though I have to admit I am much less attached to it then I was not too long ago. My second home may not seem like home to many. The Villa isn't that amazing of a location to live, physically. It's kind of ugly, really quite old, and not elegant or amazing. But for me, it has also become home. It is home because of the people that have become a part of my life here. I love them, and I know they love me. I don't have to worry about what people think, this is where I belong because people accept me for who I am. And that is a wonderful feeling, that feeling is home.
So I'm pretty lucky. I have two homes. And yet, in a matter of months I'll be leaving them both. Or at least that is my plan. To go and serve a mission somewhere that is completely unknown to me. Sometimes I wonder why that desire is so strong for me when I hate leaving behind people I care about. I think its because I know I have a third home. One that I belong in even more than Layton or Provo. That is my heavenly home. And everyone has that home too, they just need to know how to find it. So that is why I'll be leaving. To help others learn how to find their way home. And hopefully that will help me on my own way there. Because I certainly love feeling like I am HOME.
I Do Now
4 days ago
1 comment:
AHHH Lydia I loved reading this!!! I totally feel the same way. My home home, where my family is, will always be home, even though it's not where I'm meant to be right now. But all the time I'm like "oh yeah, I left it at home" and I mean at my apartment....cause thats home! And you and Kiera and the rest of our awesome ward totally make here home for me :) I'm glad here is home for you, too!!!
Post a Comment